Friday 3 May 2013

Gone

A female version of 'Taken'...

The film 'Gone', starring Amanda Seyfried as a kick ass action hero, is certainly an interesting film. I have to say however I was expecting some sort of clever twist throughout which never happened. Granted if you are looking for your typical action conventions: Car chases, guns, police, a villain, someone held captive etc, you will get what you are looking for. 

The film however is classed as a thriller, and I didn't think that it satisfied that genre. I was enjoying trying to figure out who the psychotic killer is or whether, as implied by the police, Jill (Seyfried) is mad. That aspect of an unreliable narrator and the fact we are never sure whether Jill is crazy or not is something I feel could have been explored a lot more.  The incorporation of flashbacks made the story much more interesting and helped to break up the many sequences of her on the run. 

One disappointment for me was the unexplained role of Peter Hood. His fascination and involvement with Jill separate from the rest of the police department was interesting but this didn't develop and seemed to fall flat at the end. 

On the whole the film wasn't too bad, I did enjoy most of the action and suspense particularly leading up to the end sequences. However the plot development was a weak factor, I think the film could have been made a lot cleverer than it is.



☆ ☆ ☆ ☆   ☆ ☆ ☆ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave thoughts and your own opinions!